EXPRESSION OF REGRET
REGRET(PENYESALAN) Is phrase/ expression used for remore or regret in English so many variasions. And each variaty has defferent functions and roles, defending on the circumestatences of the conversation.
PENYESALAN adalah ungkapan atau ekspresi yang digunakan untuk menyesal yang sangat banyak variasinya. Dan setiap variasi mempunyai fungsi dan peran yang berbeda, tergantung situasi dan kondisi pembicara.
Regret itselft also has a formula that is easy to remember when it will be used as follows:
Regret (penyesalan) sendiri juga memiliki rumus agar mudah diingat ketika akan di gunakan seperti berikut :
If I had (hadn’t) + V3, SUBJECT would (wouldn’t) have V3.
· I wish I had + V3
· I regret + habing V3/ not having V3 (to have V3/ not to have V3)
· I regret that I + V2
· I should have + V3
· I thought to have
C. USEFUL EXPRESSIONS FOR SHOWING REGRETTING
1. regret being rude and underestimating you... (aku menyesal bersikap kasar dan meremehkan anda )
2. I wish i hadn’t made that mistake...( saya berharap saya tidak melakukan kesalahan itu lagi)
3. If i had studied hard, i wouldn’t have falled on my exam...( jika saya belajar yang keras , aku tidak akn gagal pada ujian saya)
4. regret not having arrived on time/ I regret not to have arrived on time (saya menyesal tidak datang tepat waktu)
5. If only i had done my homework, my teacher would have been angry (andai saya mengerjakan PR , guru saya tidak akan marah)
6. I’m sorry to disappointed you ( maaf aku telah mengecewakan mu)
7. I’m know i did a mistake ( aku tahu aku salah)
>>>> EXAMPLE DIALOGUE <<<<
Arul : Where is my cat, Isma?
Isma : At home. What makes you ask about the cat?
Arul : Do you forget that I instructed you to care it and not allow it alone?. It
is dangerous to let the cat outside the home alone. Did you put the cat in the cage?
Isma : Oh, I forgot to do it. I let the cat be free at home.
Arul : Oh, no. It can go outside from the back yard.
Isma : I am so regretful. I should do what you told to me.
Arul : Please, go home and see it now. Make sure that the cat is just fine.
Isma : Ok, I am going to go home now and see it.
NIAH : You look sad, What’s wrong?
ALMA: Mr. Adi punished me. I’ve to write book reports of novels.
NIAH : What’ve you done? You must have done something wrong.
ALMA: He knew that the book review I submitted was plagiarism from the Internet. I’m shamed of doing this. I honestly regret it. And now I’ve to read the novels before the weekend.
NIAH: No use crying over spilt milk. You’ll be busy this week.